Tompkins County is located in the state of New York and is named after Daniel Tompkins, the fourth Governor of New York and the sixth Vice President of the United States. Tompkins County was founded on April 17, 1817. According to census taken in 2010, the population of Tompkins is 101,564; people of almost all nationalities and religions live in this district.
Tompkins County has a total area of 1,270 square meters including Ithaca, New York statistical area. Here you can visit world-known educational institutions: Tompkins Cortland Community College, Ithaca College and Cornell University.
Tompkins County is known for its fickle weather: there may be an abundant snowfall in March and then real heat in April. Autumn comes late to Tompkins County, its winter is cold and snowy, while summer is hot and dry.
Top Places To Visit In The Tompkins County
It’s definitely worth visiting the most popular places in the district of Tompkins in order to find out more about the place and gain lots of unforgettable impressions:
- Taughannock Falls State Park which is located near the city of Ithaca. Here you can take a look at the highest waterfall in the state of New York and have a good time kayaking in the Finger Lakes region;
- Robert H. Treman State Park, one of the most beautiful parks in the state on New York; here you can go camping or hiking as well as you can enjoy amazing views of the Lucifer Falls;
- Cayuga Lake will also be a perfect place to visit in Tompkins County. The lake impresses with its greatness and calmness. There is also a park by Cayuga Lake where you can take a walk and spend time in a quiet atmosphere as well as you can ride a boat and go fishing here;
- if you are willing to see as many waterfalls as possible in a short amount of time then it’s definitely worth going to Buttermilk Falls State Park in Ithaca. Visiting Buttermilk Falls you can go swimming in a warm natural swimming pool;
- Ithaca Falls Natural Area, this place will definitely take your breath away with it marvelous scenery. Here you can take a walk and have a good time in your friends’ company;
- Cornell University, one of the most prestigious universities in the USA. Beautiful campuses and architecture won’t leave you indifferent;
- Cascadilla Gorge Trail, a popular place to visit in the district where you can take a look at great waterfalls and lots of other landmarks.
Tompkins County is a wonderful place to live and work; its area of Ithaca and towns are known for a great number of historic sites, modern restaurants, fun festivals and events holding throughout the year.